FINANCIAL AIDE REQUIREMENTIn accordance with Texas Education Code (TEC), §28.0256, beginning with students enrolled in 12th grade during the 2021-2022 school year, each student must do one of the following in order to graduate:
- Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
- Complete and submit a Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA); or
- Submit a signed opt-out form.
INFORMATION ABOUT COMPLETING THE FAFSA/TASFA
FAFSA- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (website)
- Opens in December this year
- Before each year of college, apply for federal grants, work study, and loans with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form.
- Your college uses your FAFSA data to determine your federal aid eligibility. Many states and colleges use FAFSA data to award their own aid or emergency aid to students.
- After submission, you’ll receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) from each college you listed and are admitted to.
TASFA - Texas Application for State Financial Aid (website)
- Opens on October 1st for seniors
- The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is used to collect information to help determine eligibility for state financial aid programs that are administered by institutions of higher education in the state of Texas.
- Students that are classified as a Texas Resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are encouraged to complete the TASFA.
- Please check each college's financial aid website for specific instructions on submitting the TASFA.
Texas Priority Deadlines for Financial Aid:
- Seniors should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after it opens in December.
- Texas public colleges: For priority consideration, submit your application by January 15. Check each college's website for earlier deadlines.
- Texas private colleges: Check with the school's financial aid office. Additional forms may be required.
- For out-of-state private and public schools: Check with the school's financial aid office. Additional forms may be required.
- For more information about FAFSA deadlines, please visit the Federal Student Aid website, https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa. After accessing this website, scroll down to see the Student Aid Deadlines section.
Click here to see what happens next after completing the FAFSA.